Monday, May 14, 2012

My New York City Bee Adventure .. Day 9 second Hive Inspection..

Happy Mothers Day!!!

Day 9 
May 13th , 2012

Yesterday Was my birthday and my wife asked what I want.. I told her I wanted her to come do the inspection with me.... and she did.


Ok so I did my second hive inspection and I may need some help. This is what I saw :

Frame 1 , 2, 8 ,9 ,10 both sides empty . Frame 3 Left side empty ,Right side bees starting to draw out comb, Frames 4,5,6,7 were from the original nuc. Queen found on frame 5 right side. Watched queen for over 2min and only laid 1 egg. brood a little spotty , a lot of capped drone. no capped honey and seen quite a few pollen. Queen cells that were seen on first inspection seem to me taken down. but did find 1 capped and 1 open cell.

Here is the queen.


Here are some of the queen cells I found. Supersede Cells? 1 open 1 capped





 Pollen and nectar cells




So I was worried about what I saw. I asked for some advice from some members of the best Beekeeping Forum on the net http://www.beekeepingforums.com

Advice that I have gotten was not good news for me:

"Yes, you should be worried. She is laying drones in brood cells. I would pinch her immediately and either buy a queen or hope the cell makes a viable queen. The hive is doomed if she stays in there."

I Asked why??

"The pics show drone and worker capped brood intermixed. They should be grouped separately in different areas of the frames. Show her the pics and she will see the problem.
Especially , the one with the queen cell."

" The queen is fertilizing part time. She needs to go immediately."

So Now I get nervous. They also say I should contact the seller. I called her and explained to her what was going on and what advice I am getting. I sent her an E-mail with the Link to the thread and photos.. I am waiting for her reply....

Here is the Link to the Thread :

No comments:

Post a Comment