Saturday, June 16, 2012

My New York City Bee Adventure .. Day 42 & 43

Day 42
June 14th, 2012


Ok so officially my first nuc is dead.  Maybe 200-300 bees left in there, at least 255 drones.  Out of the 10 frames 4 frames had a handful each on them.  
The Good news is I picked up the new Nuc from Eddy Honey today. Great to meet someone from the group just wish he was a little closer. I did not take any pics of the nuc but it looked great. Nice fat queen Great laying pattern good stores great temper. It was a full five frames and now knowing a little more about bees then I did when I started the 2 nucs I have gotten this year are as different as night and day.
So I finally got home about 8pm and did as Iddee suggested. I put the new hive in the old hives place took the frames from the old hive and knocked the bees off in front of the new hive.                 Maybe about 200-300 bees.




  They started going in the hive and clustering on the front of the hive. It was getting dark by this time so I put the frames in a bag and put them in the freezer.
 


Day 43
June 15th, 2012

On Friday I went outside to put the hive top feeder on and the hive was buzzing with a lot of orientation flights. I am going to Las Vegas Monday morning for business till next Saturday. So the girls will have a good week to get settled before I jump in for an inspection.


No comments:

Post a Comment