Saturday, June 2, 2012

My New York City Bee Adventure .. Day 14 and 15

Well its been 2 weeks since I updated this post. So I will fill everyone in on what has been happening .
First some hive inspections and photos:


Day 14
May 17th , 2012


Well Its been a crazy few days.. an I think I just made it worse... So  before work I go to check the Hive and report back what I find..

Found the orginal marked queen and open and close queen cells. I was going to kill her but then I remembered Iddee saying to post what I find and go from there... so I close up and go to work.


So today I figure everyone is telling me to kill the queen I am just going to do it. Go in the hive find her finish looking for queen cells and another queen .. I did not see another queen but found my first SHB. I did kill it.



So Im about to pinch the queen when I get my first sting on my wrist. My very first bee sting ever.. Took the stinger out and watched it swell up.





Then as I try to get the queen again.. she takes off and I loose her. I dont know if she flew back to the hive or to the grass... I wait a few min and still cant find her. Its getting time for me to get ready for work. I close up the hive and figure what more could I do wrong... (my luck I am allergic to bee stings).. I come in the house and take 50mg of benardryl and I am getting ready for work...

Some good things...
Got my first sting out of the way with no issues
Got the smoker to stay smoking for 45 min..
Found SMB (know what to look for)
May have got rid of the queen...

Some Bad things
Stings suck....
Found SHB.. GREAT!!!! ..

Day 15
May 18th ,2012

I went in to check to see how bad I messed up the hive... Ok so they were a little moody but not too bad.. Searched the whole deep and no marker queen and no other queen that I could see.

Still Frames 1 ,2 ,outside 3, Outside 8, 9,10 not drawn out at all. Very little on Inside frame 8 and 3/4 of inside frame 3.
Frames , 4 ,5,6,7 orginal nuc frames.

Pic of frame 3




I also found eggs
Click image for larger version. 

Name: 3.png 
Views: 9 
Size: 520.8 KB 
ID: 3954

And Queen cells

Click image for larger version. 

Name: 1.png 
Views: 6 
Size: 619.8 KB 
ID: 3955Click image for larger version. 

Name: 2.png 
Views: 7 
Size: 617.3 KB 
ID: 3956
Looks like 3...total


On another note am I wrong for not being too happy with the Seller of the Nuc for I finally got another responce from her after I asked several times what the NJ state inspector says.. Here is her answer:

"I did talk to the NJ inspector and he said let them be. The new queen will come out and take care of the old one. Leave them alone.. In those words. There are many times when you start a nuc the bees don't like the queen they let her lay eggs and then they raise a new one. I trust what my inspector says. Chat soon Sallie"

Also made an Observation Hive today for the Nature Fest 2012 ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name: hive.png 
Views: 8 
Size: 511.6 KB 
ID: 3957

And when I say made I mean BOUGHT ... But I did have to install the Glass , mount the feet and stain the Hive...    



No comments:

Post a Comment